Bibek Khatiwada


Gene Alchemist

I'm from: Nepal
Current Location: Hobart
Position: PhD Candidate, Menzies Institute for Medical Research, UTAS
Field of research/work: Genetics
YTS Years: 2023

Bibek's Notable career moments

  • Born.

  • Discovered that cows have four legs!

  • Started inventing my own Sci-Fi characters.

  • Watched a documentary about Nikola Tesla and was super inspired.

  • Learned about the Big Bang Theory and how the universe was created.

  • Learned about the evolution of life on Earth.

  • Started university and pursued a biochemistry degree.

  • Did my first research.

  • Came to Australia and started my Master’s degree.

  • Started my PhD in human genetics.

About Bibek Khatiwada

When I was a kid, I had a wild imagination. I loved creating science fiction stories in my head and inventing my own cool characters. I became fascinated by how our universe came to exist and how life on earth emerged from non-living molecules to become living organisms.

Questions about the essence of life filled my mind. This curiosity led me to pursue a career in biological sciences.

A few years ago, while studying at university, I had the opportunity to do a year of research. It was during this time that I truly fell in love with the world of research, and I decided to make it a career. One thing I really enjoy about it is that it’s so unpredictable. You never know what you might discover next, and I find that really exciting. Life can be pretty boring when it follows a routine, but research is like going on an adventure every day.

Right now, I’m focusing on an exciting field of science called human genetics.

Did you know that every person carries a unique genetic code called DNA? It’s like a special set of instructions that makes us who we are. Here’s something mind-blowing: all humans are 99.9 percent the same in their genetic makeup. We’re more alike than we think! But that remaining 0.1 percent is super important. It holds clues about the causes of diseases. Sometimes, even tiny changes or mutations in our DNA can lead to genetic diseases. In my present research, I’m studying a hereditary condition that can affect vision in children. My goal is to understand the genetic changes associated with this condition, so we can find ways to detect it early.

Through my unwavering dedication to learning and making a positive impact, my aim is to expand our understanding. I want to unravel the mysteries of life and make a real difference in the lives of those affected by genetic diseases, one significant breakthrough at a time.

Bibek's Photo Gallery